OBA Coaches Goal Statement
Any coach participating in Ontario Basketball sanctioned events will be expected to adhere to Ontario Basketball’s principles of Fair Play and the Coaches’ Behavioural Guidelines.
OBA Coaches Manual
To download the complete OBA Coaches Manual ‘click here’.
Niagara Thunder Coaching Philosophy and Strategy
It will be the responsibility of the coaches to develop the team members ‘ individual character, physical skills, and knowledge of the game of basketball. At its best, basketball is a team game. Success is built on disciplined practice which in turn leads to success in games and renews commitment to practicing. Our method of instruction shall include: Tell, Show, Drill. Tell shall include verbal instruction or copies of plays that can be studied at home. Showing shall take place by coaches or assistants and repeated by players. Drill shall include the use of the specific fundamental and repeated many times to insure proper execution.
Niagara Thunder Coaches
All Niagara Thunder coaches are selected based on their ability to teach fundamental skills and clearly communicate with the athletes, along with a past history of proven coaching success. Coaches must:
1. Be able to convey the ideas and concepts of basketball fundamentals in terms clearly understandable to the players.
2. Uphold the highest standards of integrity and sportsmanship.
3. Have a past record of successful coaching.
4. Set a positive example for the players.
5. Refrain from using alcohol or tobacco products in the presence of players at anytime.
6. Abstain from any and all unsportsmanlike conduct.
7. Subscribe and adhere to the Fair Play coaching philosophy and strategy.
8. Be available as needed for practices and games.
Volunteer Screening Model
All Niagara Thunder coaches are required to follow this program that sets out 10 steps to assess risk and need for action related to specific positions in an organization. This includes a Police Record Check for all club coaches. This will require coaches to submit a Police Records Check prior to appointment with the club. For complete details click on ‘policies & procedures’ in this section & go to the Volunteer Screening Model section.
Coaches Code Of Conduct
1. Teach players fair play, integrity, and respect
2. Promote respect through words and actions, for the rules of the game, officials and their decisions,
players, opponents, and parents
3. Be encouraging, using positive and constructive words and actions
4. Show up for games and practices on time
5. Be prepared for practices and games
6. Recognize player and team achievements
7. Inform parents of any injuries their child might have suffered in a game or practice
8. Continue to develop coaching skills
9. Develop general athleticism
10. Encourage players to learn through discovery
11. Demonstrate mutual professional courtesy, support and respect towards other Thunder staff members
12. Head coaches resume all responsibility towards assistants, managers, players and spectators.